Dear Brown Parents and Guardians,
Thanks to so many of you for coming out on Wednesday night to hear from our Guidance Department here at Brown. As always, if you have any questions or concerns and would like to speak with your son/daughter’s counselor please call the school at (617) 559-6907.
We want to highlight 3 events that are coming up that you won’t want to miss:
1. Holiday Fundraiser: Completed order forms and checks are due into the main office, or online, by Wednesday, October 30, but may be handed in anytime before then. Browse the catalog that your child brought home and get some of your holiday shopping done early. Forty to fifty percent of all proceeds come back to the Brown PTO, and students win prizes for selling. To order, please visit www.gaschoolstore.com , and enter the Brown code, 2637072, when prompted. Thanks for your support!
2. School-Wide Halloween Dance, Friday, November 1: The Brown Student Government will be hosting their first dance from 6-8pm. Tickets are $5.00 and must be purchased in advance: they will be sold during lunch next week. There will be a costume contest and prizes will be awarded in different categories. Encourage your child to come and join in the fun with their school friends.
3. Parents’ Coffee with Superintendent David Fleishman, Tuesday, November 12: Dr Fleishman will be coming to Brown to meet and talk with Brown parents at 9 a.m. Come join us for coffee and hear Dr Fleishman speak.
As always, don’t hesitate to contact us with questions, concerns or suggestions.
Theresa Fitzpatrick and Molly Owen-Kiritsy
Brown PTO Co-Presidents
Next Week is Spirit Week!
Spirit Week is a very popular tradition at Brown, where the kids can come to school dressed with a different theme each day. Since it is created and driven by the students, it’s an event that tends to catch parents unaware (unless your child actually does tell you what is going on at school!).
This year, having overheard some conversations, we can tell you in advance: these are the themes for Spirit week:
- Monday, October 28: Team Color Day
- Tuesday, October 29: PJ Day
- Wednesday, October 30: Beard/Mustache Day
- Thursday, October 31: Halloween Costume Day
- Friday, November 1: Flashback Friday
Notice of Bus Route Change
Due to a large number of riders on a few Brown Middle buses, the transportation department has made some changes to several Brown Middle buses in order to balance out the ridership. Some of these changes may have resulted in bus stops being moved to different buses as well as possible slight changes in the time a bus may arrive at your designated bus stop. Please refer to the current bus schedule to determine if any of these changes affect your bus stop or time. The bus routes affected are as follows:
Route Mon. Tu. Wed. Th. Fri.
6502 HH WW WW WW WW WW
6503 JJ JJ JJ JJ JJ JJ
6507 FF FF AZ FF FF FF
6509 YY YY YY YY YY YY
Please keep in mind the times listed next to each stop on the bus schedule are an estimate and all students should arrive at the stop five minutes prior to that estimated time. The only stop with a set time is the first stop.
Thank you for your cooperation,
Newton Public Schools – Transportation Department
Access the Brown Directory on your phone!
In addition to the printed directory, this year you will be able to access the directory online, both on a pc or laptop, or on your phone or tablet. Look out for an email coming shortly with your personal password. Your email address will be your user name (you cannot access this online directory unless your email is in the system as an active family or faculty/staff member).
Brown Musical Rehearsal Dates
Auditions will be held Monday, November 4, Tuesday, November 5, Wednesday, November 6, with Callbacks on Friday, November 8.
Rehearsals will begin on Monday, November 18