Greetings from the Newton SEPAC (Special Education Parent Advisory Council)!
Whether you are new to Newton, or have a returning student, we would like to introduce you to the Newton SEPAC!
The Newton SEPAC….
- Advises the School Committee on the education and safety of students with disabilities
- Hosts a “Basic Rights” presentation annually, to discuss the rights of students and their parents/guardians under state and federal special education laws (Wednesday, November 8th at the Education Center; presented by Ruth Diaz of the Federation for Children with Special Needs)
- Serves as a liaison between parents of students receiving special education services and Newton Public School administrators
- Meets monthly with Karen Shmukler, the Assistant Superintendent of Student Services
Coordinates the Annual SEPAC Awards Ceremony in June, so that parents can recognize exceptional Newton Public School Staff
- Hosts the Newton SEPAC Yahoo Group; an online discussion group which serves as a forum for parents and guardians to exchange information and share community resources
- Coordinates monthly presentations. For the 2017-2018 school year, we are working on:
Transition (from Pre-School to Elementary School, Elementary School to Middle School, and from Middle School to High School), Anxiety in School Children, Executive Functioning, Personal Safety
We look forward to seeing you soon!
The Newton SEPAC Board