The Newton Food Pantry would like to extend a huge thank you to the community for the incredible support over the last 6 weeks. COVID-19 has brought about a challenging and uncertain time for many in our community but our hearts are full from your overwhelming love and support.
Because of your generosity, the Newton Food Pantry is able to continue its commitment to help those in need across Newton by offering:
- Curbside pickup twice a month to Newton residents (previously clients were able to shop once a month.) From March 18th through April 22nd, the Newton Food Pantry served a total of 978 households. Thirty percent of these households are new to the Newton Food Pantry since March 18th.
- Bulk grocery deliveries to seniors residing in 9 different Newton housing facilities to keep them safe and sheltered in place. From March 18th through April 22nd, over 40% of the total households served (411 households in all) were senior bulk grocery and home deliveries.
- Home delivery to clients who are homebound because of disability or severe medical conditions.
- Optimum safety and efficiency for both clients and volunteers with use of 3 new PODS located outside City Hall.
- Canned and dried goods for the city’s Food for Families Backpack program.
- The Newton Food Pantry is distributing more than 8,500 pounds of food per week. In addition to distributing a dry goods bag, a produce bag and a refrigerated goods bag, the Newton Food Pantry clients are also receiving personal care items and cleaning agents.
HOW CAN YOU HELP? Aside from donating double-bagged grocery bags and egg cartons (please drop off at 61 Ballard Street or 36 Metacomet Road ONLY), please consider a financial donation at www.newtonfoodpantry.org/donate/
Check out this little jingle https://bit.ly/NFP-DBS) just to show you how serious they are about double-bagging.