Brown PTO is pleased to again offer the Mini-Grant program to teachers and staff for the 2021-2022 school year!
The PTO has allocated a portion of its budget to fund classroom support and special faculty/staff projects at Brown that meet one of these criteria:
- Reinforce or support student learning (programmatic or curricular)
- Foster personal connections
- Pilot a new program
- Provide for participation in community service activities
Applications will also be considered for materials, supplies and tools that enhance the learning environment or aid in everyday operational efficiency. Most awards range between $100 and $500. Larger grants are considered, particularly where they involve collaboration (e.g. a grade of teachers or department working together).
We will prioritize funding towards ideas that pilot new models of learning, experiment with specific tools or provide additional data/insight for future discussions on how students best learn and grow at Brown. Mini-Grants are intended for projects that extend beyond the core curriculum. Day-to-day operational support is outside the funding scope allowed by the Mini-Grant process.
We encourage faculty, staff and administrators to apply for Mini-Grant funding to support both in-person and remote learning. All grants are subject to the approval of the principal.
GUIDELINES: Approval is based primarily on the following considerations:
- The number of students/persons participating in and/or benefiting from the program/project.
- The impact of the program/project on students and the school.
- The ability of the project to continue without additional PTO funds. Funding is not intended for on-going program support. If your program was funded as part of a previous Mini-Grant effort and you have a follow-up need/idea extension, please check in with the Mini-Grant Committee by emailing email@example.com prior to re-applying for funding for the same program.
- Grant money must be spent only on specific application requests. If there is a change in the request, the Grant Committee needs to be notified and will review the modifications for approval.
- Grant must support and be consistent with the school community’s values and goals as listed on the Brown website.
- New grants will only be awarded to past grant recipients if a final report has been submitted and is on file.
AS PER NPS GUIDELINES, GRANTS CANNOT BE USED:
- To fund salaries or stipends.
- To purchase any core curriculum materials. No more than 10 copies of any one text may be purchased with Mini-Grant funds.
- For core curriculum technology, including computers, consumables, software/applications and many peripherals. Technology purchases of any kind are not to be funded by Mini-Grants and should follow the Equity Guideline Process.
- For field trips, transportation, food or promotional items.
- For yearly subscription-based magazines/applications, unless shown to be part of a special one-time project.
- For direct donations to charities.
- For PPE or other Covid-related expenditures.
PROCEDURES: Applications should be made to the PTO Grants Committee, which will review and make recommendations to the PTO Board. This year (2021/2022 academic year), there is one round of grant applications with a Friday, December 17th deadline. Please submit grants by 9PM on the due date. The committee will follow up with applicants.
You can check out the grants made in 2020/2021 here.
TO APPLY: Click here to fill out the online form, which will be sent to the Grants Committee. When completing the project application, include as much detail as possible to help us best understand your request for funding.
IF APPROVED: The PTO keeps records on how funds are spent. Upon completion of your grant, please submit a brief report no later than May 31st, detailing how the grant money was spent and if you achieved the desired outcome. A customizable final report can be found here. (Will open in your downloads area.)
If you have questions, please contact the Grants Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.